Many people are unaware of the improper diet habits that they have been having for years. Prevention can start as early once a child can start eating but many people only see the importance when the problems in their body starts to surface.
Three Reasons Why Diets Fail
1. A Quick Fix: Dieters often drastically restrict their calories or food choices now but return to their old habits once they reach their goals.
Solution: Permanent lifestyle changes are needed to achieve sustained ideal weight.
2. Fad Diets= Unbalanced Nutrition: Too often, diets focus on specific types of foods or nutrients and disregard the importance of everything else, leading to unbalanced nutrition.
Solution: For optimal nutrition, our bodies need a balance variety of nutrients, including the right types of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
3. The High-Glycemic Tap: Eating high-glycemic foods can sabotage even the best of diet plans because the resulting spike and subsequent drop in blood sugar leads to a more rapid return of hunger.
Solution: A better approach focuses on low-glycemic carbohydrates, which help to moderate blood glucose levels, leaving you feeling full and satisfied longer.
The Glycemic Index (GI) measures the rate at which carbohydrates are broken down and appear in the blood as simple sugars.
High-glycemic foods are absorbed into our blood stream rapidly, causing our blood sugar to spike right after a meal. They include fruit juices, breads, starchy foods like potatoes and sweets, and baked goods. These have in common a lack of fiber, fat and protein, which help moderate the release of sugar.
This stimulates a heavy release of insulin to drive the sugar into the muscles and liver. Excessive sugar is then stored as fat. The sudden increase of insulin also causes blood sugar to fall rapidly, often going below the “normal” blood sugar level.
One will have a feeling of hunger, and a craving for more food soon after a heavy meal, continuing the “roller coaster” ride. The continuous cycles of “highs” and “lows” can lead to weight gain and health risks.
Why do we choose Low-Glycemic Foods?
A recent Harvard study found that a low-glycemic diet was the best of three popular diets at both maintaining metabolism during weight loss and maintaining cardiovascular health.
Low glycemic foods include oatmeal, beans and vegetables, which are packed with fat, fiber and protein and cause a slow, steady digestion, leading to a longer period of satiety.
These foods provide greater satiety as they are converted to sugars more slowly and steadily, reducing the huge swings in our blood sugar level after a meal. They are the ideal choice.
There are stunning results featured on Oprah.com.
Examples of G.I. ratings
Discover the Power of Low-Glycemic Foods
Nutrimeal is a low-glycemic meal replacement brought to you by USANA Health Sciences for ideal weight management.
- A quality source of protein, carbohydrates, dietary fibres, and many micronutrients.
- Comes in three delicious flavours- French Vanilla, Dutch Chocolate and Wild Strawberry.
- Provided low-glycemic complex carbohydrates and 8 grams of dietary fibre per serving.
- Has low glycemic index of 23.
If you are in a midst of a weight-loss regiment, let me lend you a helping hand.
Instead of skipping meals which is unhealthy, why not take Nutrimeal as a meal replacement. See results in 1 months!
Register your interest here and you will receive a free sample!
Nutrimeal for Weight Management